Thread: Another Portland Mapmaker and Illustrator

Post Another Portland Mapmaker and Illustrator

Howdy mapmakers! I'm new to these boards, but have always loved history, architecture, maps, and illustration. I'm trying to remember the first fantasy maps I obsessed over: Tolkien or the Disney Magic Kingdom map.

As an illustration undergrad, I was adamant about hand-creating my projects where my peers were Photoshopping. It meant longer hours for me, but I feel like I gained a solid background in art and design. As soon as I graduated, I threw all that out the window and embraced Photoshop hardcore. After a few years working in live-action film as an illustrator/graphic designer/set designer, I went on to study animation and visual effects in grad school. It's been a journey! I currently reside in Portland, and work as a freelance illustrator.

Some of my other interests include traveling, landscape painting, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and beefcake action heroes from the 1980s.

Here is an avatar of myself, as a fantasy cartographer (Franck Fernweh) and his fictional workspace. Please note I don't have that much chest hair!

FranckFernwehColorArt_800dpi_Square.jpg

FantasyFernweh_BackgroundColor_Web.jpg

Say hi! And if you're in the Portland area, let's meet up!

I can't wait to see the maps you've made or will make - I can already tell your style is going to be absolutely beautiful. I'm an all-digital artist, so I've always had massive amounts of respect for people who can work with traditional media, as I honestly want to run and scream whenever seeing a pen and a sheet of paper...

You seem to already have done some pretty cool stuff! Set design, that must have been interesting.

Welcome to the Guild, and have your first Rep for that awesome avatar and the pretty little illustration. Hopefully I'll be seeing you around!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

hello fantasyfernweh! welcome to the forum~ tolkien's the hobbit was probably my first introduction to fantasy maps (too).