Thread: generate 3d fractal terrain *based* on topo map

Default generate 3d fractal terrain *based* on topo map

Hiall! Happy new heer. :)

Was wondering if anyone knew of any way to, starting with a topo map (as a "guide"), generate a 3d fractal terrain. I don't mind if there are minor changes to coastlines or the resulting topo lines. I just want to extrapolate from the existing data and fill in with zoomable fractal terrain.

I have an entire planet of topo maps I drew for an FRPG game I've developed over the last 30 years. My new project is to bring this world into VR (using UE).

codevark

Blog Entries

right now i am short on time so very short -- for now

Blender can be set up to do this using nodes

Gimp 2.9 can handle 16 bit gray heightmaps and 32 bit floating point data
    with the Gmic plugin ( i or someone needs to hack the Resysenthizer plugin to work correctly in 2.9 )

GRASS and Qgis can be set up to do this

then there is Python and the NumPy library - but you have to write the code
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412 might have some things to interest you, especially the next-to-last entry at the bottom of the first page. https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=33087 has some examples of working from a topo map to a terrain.

How much detail you want, how much control you want, and how much work you're willing/able to do will dictate what tools will work best for you. How much you're willing to spend will also have an impact (especially if you refuse to use anything except FREE and OPEN SOURCE tools).