Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Keep at it, guys and gals, we're watching and cheering for you.
    Thanks Pixie!

Whilst we have you here (sense a question coming) I think i get the 4 driving forces of plate movement (mantle convection, ridge push, slap pull and slab suction) at least enough to be able to "see" what should be happening. One thing that I am getting stuck on visualising: The continents seem to be inexorably drawn together (earth's own history tells us this by the sheer number of supercontinents that have arisen over the aeons). The thing I am getting foggy with is once a supercontinent has formed what are the major forces driving them apart?
    1) Is it the thinning over time of continental crust by convection thus forming continental rift and kickstarting the process over again?
    2) Slab suction from one or more edges of the supercontinent in response to slab pull from oceanic crust being subducted?
    3) Is there some king of "recoil" from continental plate convergences?
    4) All of the above?
    As i go through GPLates i need to have an understanding of what would realistically be happening as i break apart the supercontinent i am going to be starting with (it is also my intention to "end up" with two smaller supercontinents on their way to a head on collision (in a few million years)
    I ask this here as I think Kacey and I are both at the same point ( i hope you don't mind Kacey?)
    Thanks
    PaGaN
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Thanks Pixie!

Whilst we have you here (sense a question coming) I think i get the 4 driving forces of plate movement (mantle convection, ridge push, slap pull and slab suction) at least enough to be able to "see" what should be happening. One thing that I am getting stuck on visualising: The continents seem to be inexorably drawn together (earth's own history tells us this by the sheer number of supercontinents that have arisen over the aeons). The thing I am getting foggy with is once a supercontinent has formed what are the major forces driving them apart?
    1) Is it the thinning over time of continental crust by convection thus forming continental rift and kickstarting the process over again?
    2) Slab suction from one or more edges of the supercontinent in response to slab pull from oceanic crust being subducted?
    3) Is there some king of "recoil" from continental plate convergences?
    4) All of the above?
    As i go through GPLates i need to have an understanding of what would realistically be happening as i break apart the supercontinent i am going to be starting with (it is also my intention to "end up" with two smaller supercontinents on their way to a head on collision (in a few million years)
    I ask this here as I think Kacey and I are both at the same point ( i hope you don't mind Kacey?)
    Thanks
    PaGaN
    In a sense, one might say that a supercontinent is actually the "natural state" of the system, and the present situation where the continents are spread relatively far apart an anomaly. All the southern continents (S. America, Africa, Australia, Antarctica and India) were essentially a single block from ca. 750 Mya when Gondwana formed all the way to the breakup of Pangaea around 150 Mya, about 600 million years.

Also, it should be noted that even Pangaea was never really unchanging, or even composed of a single continental plate. Eurasia kept amalgating pieces of Gondwana (Amurian plate, Cathaysian plate, Cimmerian plate, South China plate) all through the lifecycle of the supercontinent, starting off with basically just Europe and Siberia, and ending up with the present day Eurasia (eastern Eurasia is also very mountainous as a result of those numerous collisions). All that geologic history shows a cycle of pieces breaking off from Gondwana (due to slab pull), with associated opening and closing of the Tethys Ocean (Proto-Tethys, Palaeo-Tethys, Neotethys and finally the Indian Ocean, the latest stage of the process). This suggests that slab pull is probably the most important factor (though not necessarily the only one).

However, it is important to remember that ultimately the renewal of oceanic crust is what drives the whole system. Continental crust is relatively stable, but oceanic crust renews itself on a cycle, and that is what fundamentally creates the Wilson Cycle (it might be more accurate to consider it as the "ocean cycle" rather than the supercontinent cycle ). Well, mantle dynamics probably play a role as well, but it's still fairly unclear exactly how the relationship between plate tectonics and mantle dynamics works (and in any case, I don't think you need to pay too much attention to mantle dynamics when creating a fictional world).
    Last edited by Charerg; 10-05-2017 at 02:45 PM.

great response AS EVER. I don;t know how you do it. you respond and even MORE knowledge pours out.

So, the Wilson cycle eh? That does seem to cover how i was visualizing it. kind of like a perpetual love hate relationship between the various continental plates "oh, i miss you come back, you're so far" to "get the <expletive> away from me you make me sick!".

And yes, you're right, for our intents and purposes, just knowing "enough" is enough.

Thanks again Charerg (and Pixie)

PaGaN

Kacey, i found this short clip that helped to "see" the Wilson cycle in action. I found it useful.

EDIT: also discovered this gem of a resource
    Last edited by PaGaN; 10-05-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Guild Expert

Wow, you guys just loaded me with a slew of new information to pour over, thank you so much I really appreciate the big guns coming out to help those of us that are still learning. I wish I had more time right now to respond to each comment, I have so many more questions, but like always PaGaN knew exactly what I wanted to ask today, and I appreciate all the links you guy's are posting. It's nice to be able to quickly access resources and learning material. I've been reading so much lately and trying to follow all the threads that I lose track of where I found certain information and I fell asleep last night thinking about slab pull... Wait, that came out wrong, anyway I never would have known about it had you guys not been such great sources of information... Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I fell asleep last night thinking about slab pull... Wait, that came out wrong
    Oh Kacey...ROFLMAO

At least it wasn't Slab Suction!

Guild Expert

So I've managed to get my continents into a very temporary and rough super continent and assigned some preliminary plate id's so I can give them a test run tomorrow... hopefully. The sloppy coasts, and scribbled planning is driving me a little bonkers so I can't wait to start polishing up the edges. I just gave the land masses some numbers for now just so I can keep myself organised, they correspond with the plate id's so hopefully I don't get too confused with the next stage.

I'm having some issues with distortion right now so things will change. I'm hoping to get my rotation file ready tonight before I go to bed because I have some time tomorrow to get things a little more polished.

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but I'm going to pull all the chunks down into the middle area where there's less distortion and then refine the edges a bit then mash them back together, it might be totally crazy and a waste of time but I'm hoping that when I drag them back that G.Plates will take care of the distortion for me. I did a little test the other day dragging a chunk from the middle of a more completed coast up to the pole and it worked out beautifully, so I'm optimistic... for now.

image_0.00Ma.png

I'll redo the plate boundaries and id's once I take care of the coast a little, for now my main concern is getting the land masses into the middle so I can deal with the distortion issues.

I don't want to mess up your schedule or get you confused but, please, for us who do this as drug-taking, give us a bit more... where is subduction taking place? so we can start imagining the upcoming mayhem

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I don't want to mess up your schedule or get you confused but, please, for us who do this as drug-taking, give us a bit more... where is subduction taking place? so we can start imagining the upcoming mayhem
    This definitely messes up my schedule, but for you Pixie I will do it. I've had this in my head for a few days now so I didn't even think to consider that maybe you can't read my mind. I guess I'll be spending my free time today figuring out how you make those perfectly zig zag'd lines to represent the movements... Forgive me if I come back with a bunch of messy arrows instead, I really have no idea what I'm doing.

You are doing wonders with this, kacey
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast