Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan City

Version 17

After all the glowing things that have been said about all the detail, I'm afraid this is going to be a relatively low res image, because I need to be able to show you the whole island today.

The roads, which have been driving me quietly round and round in ever decreasing circles today (or even round the bend), are now very crudely sketched in as a first draft, just to show their approximate position. I have also added the first buildings that I haven't seen fit to immediately delete again

The red line around the area at the top of the island denotes the approximate position and size of the Sayer's compound, where the most holy of shrines, the Pool of Life, lies beneath the Temple of Rusaar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-29-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Wow, Mouse, you've been busy! At the risk of repeating myself... This is looking fabulous!!! I'm glad to see the roads and buildings start to emerge. As I said before, this place is going to be epic!!! I better get a move on, or your map will be completed before mine!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Wow, Mouse, you've been busy! At the risk of repeating myself... This is looking fabulous!!! I'm glad to see the roads and buildings start to emerge. As I said before, this place is going to be epic!!! I better get a move on, or your map will be completed before mine!
    Well thank you, Storm

You are kidding aren't you - mine completed before yours? Now that I've started putting all my tiny-teeny-itsy-bitsy little polka dot houses in, I'm beginning to realise just how much it takes to make a city! LOL

Besides, I'm only working on this right at the moment. I think you must have at least three projects on the go right now, if my memory serves me right

This is really nice, really like the top left corner are. I wonder if the texture should change, the top area, the texture seems a little to dominate. Love the water! Looking forward to seeing this finished.

I'm not usually a fan of CC3 maps but you did a great job here !

Version 18

The City of Merelan started out as a Merlish fishing village, and was invaded by the Blucrans about 500 years ago. The pool that just happened to be situated near the summit of the island, on a thin bed of clay, was declared to be the most holy site of the Pool of Life, where it is claimed that Rusaar spawned the First. The pool was covered by the Temple of Rusaar, and the Blucran Sayers (warrior monks) set up their places of office in close proximity. For this reason there are no town halls or places of local government anywhere else on the island - not even just inside the city gate. Instead you ride straight into the city, where you will soon discover that the impressive façade of grand houses built by the Merlish slaves for their new Blucran masters, soon peter out into the more natural island style of humble thatched homesteads - clustered in their serried rows all up and down the terraced steps of the cliffs....

I only got as far as the first couple of terraces, but I think its going ok

Oh yes! I have noticed the strange little building at the extreme right of the map which appears to have no shadow, but I didn't have time to render it all out again before dinner. It's on the wrong Sheet (layer)

EDIT: Added a full image reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-30-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added full image reference.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    This is really nice, really like the top left corner are. I wonder if the texture should change, the top area, the texture seems a little to dominate. Love the water! Looking forward to seeing this finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I'm not usually a fan of CC3 maps but you did a great job here !
    I can't believe it! You BOTH ninja'd me! ROFL

Welcome to the most chaotic construction site you have ever seen in your life! But I do have a tavern now - in fact I have four, so help yourselves to a drink

@Snodsy - thanks for the compliment, and I agree - it is all a bit the same, but I will see if it needs to be worked on once I have completed the city. I also have to find/make a greater variety of tent and shacks!

@thomrey - thank you. CC3 maps are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are certainly mine
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-30-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Oh wow... you've done a lot of work since I last checked! Looking good!! Can't wait to see a zoomed out version with all the new buildings and such.

I really like how you've done your roads. The paths look especially good... very organic and natural. They really have the look and feel of being worn in by countless footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    Oh wow... you've done a lot of work since I last checked! Looking good!! Can't wait to see a zoomed out version with all the new buildings and such.

I really like how you've done your roads. The paths look especially good... very organic and natural. They really have the look and feel of being worn in by countless footsteps.
    Thanks Neyjour! That's all there is at the moment - sorry!

The paths are really easy. I just imagine I'm ant sized and start heading from A, to B, to C, and so on, but with my crosshairs rather than my feet. If you go over the same path a number of times it soon starts looking pretty natural... unless you have the steadiest hand in the universe, that is

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Neyjour! That's all there is at the moment - sorry!

The paths are really easy. I just imagine I'm ant sized and start heading from A, to B, to C, and so on, but with my crosshairs rather than my feet. If you go over the same path a number of times it soon starts looking pretty natural... unless you have the steadiest hand in the universe, that is
    Yeah, I realize that's all the buildings so far. What I meant was, I'd like to see the overall effect/look with the newly added elements. It's really nice to see a zoomed in view of the details, but it also makes me want to zoom out to see the whole thing.

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast