Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I thought you could just select all the font layers and change all the font like that.. But I guess you'd probably have to reposition and stuff. No matter, it still looks amazing.
    The whole map size is 10624x15300. There are lots of labels [not sure exactly] and they're in numerous sub-folders.
    The map can crawl a bit depending on what I'm doing at the time.
    But aside from the effort to make any such change, is the fact - all the positions will change, which would mean going back and repostioning everything.
    I'm just not prepared to do that. Also, the font I used relates to the Map title piece, which you haven't seen yet, but is done and can't be changed.
    Oh, I thought I should add - much of this text is at 1.5 to 2.5 pt size, to fit on this map.

There will always be issues with type.
    I ran through a number of fonts before deciding on this one, Chaucer.
    There were issues of one sort or another with each, so it was a balance in choosing which one to go with.
    The only character I saw that was problematic is the 'H'. Are there other characters that are difficult to understand?

Guild Journeyer

Tremendous! I love it! I maybe wrong, but does the city need more Market Areas and maybe more Common areas? People(buildings)look packed in, but maybe that is the look you are going for? Far be it for me to complain, as the detail is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Galendae View Post
    Tremendous! I love it! I maybe wrong, but does the city need more Market Areas and maybe more Common areas? People(buildings)look packed in, but maybe that is the look you are going for? Far be it for me to complain, as the detail is excellent.
    Thanks Galendae
    It is really cramped. It was somewhat intentional, somewhat a side effect of not nearly enough planning for this size city.

I do love the advice and suggestions that are being, and have been, offered.
    Everyone who makes those suggestions works toward making me a better map maker, so I appreciate it.
    Sometimes you have to go with what you have and complete it though.
    This map has been a journey. I have learned a lot while working on it.
    But I want to bring it to completion and start on new journeys.
    If I let myself, I could keep trying to perfect little things here and there and it would stretch on for years.

First of all.... that is a giant image!!

I totally agree with all you said, I would do the same as you. There's no way I'd change it once I've gotten that far.

Yeah, you're right, it's mostly the H, it just takes a second to read. It's fine.

Why are the roofs in The Hallows and Dolmen Hill white? Any reason?

I looked back at the first WIP and somehow even that looks good in and of itself.. you're amazing.

I feel like screaming this is so awesome. How am I going to tear myself away from this right now and do school??

You should write a book about this city..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    First of all.... that is a giant image!!

I totally agree with all you said, I would do the same as you. There's no way I'd change it once I've gotten that far.

Yeah, you're right, it's mostly the H, it just takes a second to read. It's fine.

Why are the roofs in The Hallows and Dolmen Hill white? Any reason?

I looked back at the first WIP and somehow even that looks good in and of itself.. you're amazing.

I feel like screaming this is so awesome. How am I going to tear myself away from this right now and do school??

You should write a book about this city..
    The Hallows and Dolmen Hill are large cemeteries - so what you're looking down at are stone mausoleums and grave monuments.
    I wanted to make a rules-neutral game product out of this stuff.
    I'm so out of date on game rules/game mechanics that I couldn't write a true campaign module without loads of assistance.
    So it would be more of a campaign/adventure backstory sandbox sort of thing with maps and illustrations and all.
    I have some work started on surrounding areas and towns and some backstory as well as more specifics on locations within Haerlech.
    I need to get a bit more info on what all I need to do to produce a product for DTRPG and then I will probably do that.
    Oh, also need to set up my website in relation to selling on DTRPG. So much to do - so little time in which to do it.

Ah, okay. I thought they might be cemeteries. That makes sense.

I don't do RPG's or anything, but this map would make me want to. Or I would buy the map simply for maps sake (like I did with the Lands of Fire and Ice by Jon Roberts)

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Well, that's understandable about the labels of course, would be a massive effort to redo it all! It's not actually that they are difficult to understand, when I think about it, it's more that the font combines (what modern eyes perceive as) upper and lower case letters that makes for a not-totally-smooth reading experience But it's of course a pretty minor issue, once you get used to the writing style it's no problem anymore. The title piece sounds intriguing…!

Holy cow... I am finally done and about to post this in Finished Maps!!!!
    But wait, you say... is this the end of Haerlech, and its surrounding lands?

No. No it is not. There will be some more development on some Haerlech related stuff.
    I'll post more about that later. But I'm finally done.
    Check the finished maps for the finished piece.
    I'll link it here once I make the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Holy cow... I am finally done and about to post this in Finished Maps!!!!
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast