Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Yep, I;ve got some pretty high mountains, and it's not all completely snowy. There's some greener bits too, but either way J.Ed has the solution

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    undersea volcanic activity increasing sea water temperatures and contributing to a more interesting local climate...:

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I'm not really sure what the climate would really be in my country either but there's an invisible dragon that flies around and keeps different parts of the country in different climates based solely upon his will.

Now that we have got the position and size of the landmasses figured out, we can start working on a climate map.

Still, some people including myself have already started working on their map before the worldmap was settled. In my case, i don't think it's going to maker a huge difference but I'm curious.

Is it ok if I open a new thread on this topic?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I was hoping someone might suggest that A thread covering climate and global stuff (ocean names etc) would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Now that we have got the position and size of the landmasses figured out, we can start working on a climate map.

Still, some people including myself have already started working on their map before the worldmap was settled. In my case, i don't think it's going to maker a huge difference but I'm curious.

Yes, go for it Azelor.
    If you start it, do you mind keeping a bit of an eye on the thread and responding to questions?
    I don't have as much knowledge on climate and biome stuff so my input would be limited anyway, but I also have less time just now to monitor another project thread.
    I'm available though if there are any specific questions related to the larger Guildworld project - if something should arise.
    Maybe a clear title - Guildworld - climate/biome discussion...
    Or I can start it and make it a sticky thread... whatever you all prefer.

we can start another for more general things like the water body names, river names, and other general things.
    I just think the bodies of water and things like that might get 'drowned' in a climate/biome discussion thread.
    I'll start a general thread and keep up with it and keep a running list of names and such.

Edit - just started a general discussion thread and made it sticky.
    I can do the same for the climate/biome...
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.

I opened and stickied a new thread for Climate/Biomes [with Azelor as the nexus] and one for other general discussion such as names for bodies of water.
    I added maps to those threads, and also updated the main map on page 1 of this thread.
    Also, went through nearly every individual map thread looking to update the major bodies of water, where I could.
    When we do a more thorough main map, I will put more time into the type placement and all that.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

is this meant to be a flat world or a sphere? Most people on the guild make 'flat' maps and don't bother with projections. I tried turning the world map into a sphere and as my region is quite far north it ended up quite distorted - If most other people aren't going to bother with projections I figured I wouldn't either as my map would end up looking out of place:

Untitled map.jpgortho.jpg

I think it's a flat world. Dealing with the projection leads to problems.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I'm assuming we must be on a globe not an oblong flatworld, I think that's why the original lands were all relatively equatorial to avoid this issue. But I'd say don't worry about it - make your map flat as given and let J.Edward work it out on the final map/globe
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-15-2016 at 07:27 AM.

Well that is the the issue, the scale is a flat 545 miles per everybody. I'd prefer to think we were on giant cylinder filled with water and an Iron core, or on something like an extremely long American football ball.

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast