Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kasuorvis - atlas style continental map

Guild Expert

I love you’re world map, I wish I could make something like this. I would love to see this thread turned into a wip for the other maps, I will definitely be following, great job.

Guild Apprentice

Well, I always say if you wish you could do something, give it a go. You might surprise yourself!

So, WIPs for the rest of the world... I'm currently working on one for the continent to Kasuorvis' west, and here is the sea layer all done:

kadsilon_wip_1.png

Taking a while because I'm getting used to a new computer and tablet, but coming along nicely, I think.

Well, Kalium, I think you maybe right when you said we have lots in common: I'm also working on atlas style maps right now and will do more stylistic maps later.
    And although I'm working with Gimp, I consider doing the labelling in Inkscape. Is this combination working well for you?

Guild Apprentice

It's a great combo! I especially like how I can link the image in Inkscape so that I can change the base image and have it immediately reflect in the Inkscape file. And Inkscape's tools are perfect for things like labels, borders, lettering etc.

Guild Apprentice

And just tossing this one in: same continent with the land and rivers filled in. This is all done with the ink tool. I really cannot praise it enough for the smooth, clean lines it gives you!

kadsilon.png

This is the raw image that gets linked in Inkscape, next up is to do that and get some labels on there... but right now, sleep already!

Welcome to the Guild, and marvelous job on this by the way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Thank you so much! I'm really enjoying mapping this world.

I did do some Inkscape work, but I need to come up with place names... blargh. So I decided for now what I really needed to do was a cleaned up climate map for each of the continents too. I did this on the world map a while ago and doing this reminded me of how complicated it all got. So much maths! I'm using the same classification and colour scheme as this map. I think my version may be flawed in some places but I don't think I want to go through all that mind bending all over again so any weird bits, let's just say it's the wildlife. It's the sort of world where entities exist that could possibly cause localised anomalies, so...

kadsilon_climate.png

Thankfully all I had to do was trace over an existing image so it looked nice when projected, but it reminded me of how easy it is to get lost in all those classifications and colours, so I made a spreadsheet to hold some notes and act as an in depth key. I'm linking it in case any of the rambling notes helps someone out. It does make it easier on me than trawling through Wikipedia to remember what all those colours and letters actually mean. This is all reminding me of why I just started eyeballing biome placement, but... no regrets.

Maybe I'll do a simplified version to show general vegetation trends, should be easier to read.

I'm not sure what I'll do with all these maps when they're done - they're too low res to print so maybe I'll gather them together on a webpage or something.

Guild Apprentice

aaand we have names. Some, anyway, I feel like there should be a few more labels, but I'm happy with this one as is for now.

kadsilon_atlas.png

And as a bonus since I figure I'll be doing these too, the climate map for Kasuorvis, same key as before:

kasuorvis_climate.png

Whew... I think next time I'm going to do one of the smaller continents!

There's 3 ways to populate a map with labels:

- fast and careless, but you end up using awkward sounding names or some foreign language words that will be all-too-recognizable for those who speak it

- fast and automated, by using a word generator, but it'll inevitably show that a computer randomized syllables in a bunch of those labels

- slow and organically, as you fill it with stories, languages, but it will take waaaayyy more time

I'd say, take your time, after all, if Rome wasn't built in a day, why would your World be

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast