Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map of the known world of Lost Kingdoms

Thank you very much Falconius!

I have decided to make the roads just simple dotted lines, I think it looks better on the whole. I've also added some new things to the coastline/sea to make it look a bit nicer, or at the very least more visually interesting. I'm not sure if I should also add the effect to the lakes, it will be a bit more complicated if I do

Some of the settlements do not have names yet, as I added quite a lot of new ones when I was adding the road systems. I'm also trying to figure out if I should add labels for the mountain ranges too, they would have to be overlaid much like the forest labels. My only reservation is that adding them will obscure the mountains quite a lot...

Also, I am still unsure what to add in the bottom left hand corner. I don't think a map insert will be that inkeeping with the style, but then again I don't know what could be put there. I had thought about a family tree style diagram for the history of the kingdoms of Ombaroth e.g. how several of them are descended from Palandor, how some are Wild Men kingdoms, and others are Dwarven or Elven. But I think there's a fine line between a good amount and clutter, which I feel I will cross...

The Continent LQ.png

I am pretty happy with it so far But there might be a long way to go until it's finished
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

The only thing I would suggest, if it isn't too late to make the change, would be to add a little space between the "wave lines" and the actual coast line. In some areas the give a vague impression of being cliffs. Other than that, this is coming along nicely.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    The only thing I would suggest, if it isn't too late to make the change, would be to add a little space between the "wave lines" and the actual coast line. In some areas the give a vague impression of being cliffs. Other than that, this is coming along nicely.
    Thank you for the advice! I added a little space between the coasts and the waves like you said, and I think it defines it a lot better than before.

The Continent LQ.png

I also made the title, scale and legend go in a box in the bottom left-hand corner. I'm not 100% sold on how this looks or the fact that the compass can't go in a corner. I obscured part of the compass behind the title box as I thought it was the only in-keeping option. It might be looking a bit too bland/leaving to much space empty in the sea.

I'm never good with title boxes
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

I have changed the compass rose to be slightly visible over the title box, as well as making the box slightly bigger too. I think it looks better like that.

I have also begun to add coats of arms to the edges of the maps for twenty of the main locations. I hope it doesn't look too jarring, but I did it to fill up the large empty space in the left-hand corner. I think the colours are a bit off, but this is the palette I usually use for heraldry.

The Continent LQ.png

All the coat of arms are now done, and I have put on all the location labels too. I'm very almost finished with this map and I am quite happy with it! Probably for the best since after seeing Dune I am itching to finish my sci-fi maps

The Continent LQ.png

I don't think there needs to be any more settlements or roads, aside from perhaps one that goes north of Camandras before stopping (because of the harsh conditions), and I think there is enough woodlands and such too.

Here's a closer look at the heraldry of the different kingdoms and lands found on the map (some of the linewidths changed when I copied them into another document to export this collection, so sorry about that). The heraldic elements are from Wikimedia Commons.

Heraldry.png

I think my favourite one to make was the CoA for Arginaea featuring the many eyes of their patron Thousand Eyed God.
    Last edited by Rubikia; 10-29-2021 at 07:59 AM.

I saw all the process and the final result is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    I saw all the process and the final result is very good.
    Thank you very much Simkin

I think all these names you've come up with are great. I'm just a big fan of this map and this world overall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12