Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

If we don't hear from you in a week, we'll send out the search parties!!

I'm still here at the moment, D

Its got stuck at 1% download. I checked the update record for the first time in my life, and discovered that it had tried to download and failed to do so 6 times in a row, so maybe my problem isn't so much the Creator's update, but the lack of the last 6.

Just downloading Avast to double check the virus situation!

EDIT: Well... there aren't any virus, but the system is now so slow that its not responding to a clicked button for a whole 45 seconds each time, which is driving me nuts!

I'm going to reinstall Windows, which will take about 6 hours as far as I can remember about how long it took to install in the first place.

Pray for me that I don't take a mallet to my laptop when I have to face all those horribly cheesy screen messages, like "We want this to be just perfect for you".

AAAAAARrrrrgh! GRRRRRRrrr!
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-29-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Oh boy.... this... is not good.

Sorry for that little outburst there!

Falconius - I haven't done it yet. I reached exhaustion point and crashed out myself shortly after I wrote that message. The click response is back to normal this morning.

Its almost like someone is playing with me - messing things up and driving me mad, then suddenly vanishing again.

Neither Defender nor Avast can find anything, but that doesn't mean my system is clean. I suspect it is not. All I can do is try to repair whatever corruption is still going on, and make sure that you all know that if I suddenly disappear altogether its not because I'm just sulking about something silly. It will be because my machine is... er... pretty much kind of... 'ef'd'.

I've updated as far as I can, in the hope that if I have all the updates rather than only as far as the Creator Update (there have been a couple of smaller ones since then which probably went unnoticed by most people), and the end result is that though I can now open GIMP I've lost all dynamics with the Wacom in that app.

I updated Krita, since when I checked I was running an out of date version. Krita is now working, AND I have dynamic control.... sort of.

The trouble is that I have never used Krita before, and have no idea how to steer this thing whatsoever. Also, I've had to reduce the size of the map to get it to open in Krita, as it doesn't manage the memory side of things as well as GIMP does.

I think I can do this, but only if I can find a crash course in how to draw maps in Krita.

I learn faster by watching videos. So does anyone have a recommendation for the best Krita tutorial vid on YouTube? I need to be able to properly control the pen dynamics, apply filters, masks - do all the usual layer operations... and I also need to know how to get rid of that circular palette thing that keeps popping up unexpectedly at the most awkward moments right over the top of where I'm trying to draw stuff! LOL!

The other problem is that with all the updates and messing around trying to make things work, I'm already heavily into this month's broadband allowance by 10GB, so just one 'kill all' vid would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Navigation, General Overview, GD Quest has videos covering absolutely everything, unfortunately this is also a draw back, but if you go through his Kirta tutorial playlist you can pick and choose things that are worthwhile.

Edit: I should note that I changed a lot of the most common shortcut keys because they drove me nuts the way it was set up. I should also note the process of doing so was super frustrating. For instance I believe the shortcut to change brush size was shift and a pen drag, I changed it to z, which I believe was the colour picker. I altered all the navigation keys to fit more in with what I'm used to from 3d coat.
    Last edited by Falconius; 10-30-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Oh thank you so very much, Falconius!

I don't think I will be getting as far as using shortcuts today. Maybe tomorrow though

Now I'm all set to make one last ditch attempt...

Good luck, Mouse!

Thank you, rdanhenry

Believe it or not, I've only just finished forcing Win 10 to install the very latest update. It took 5 hours to download which was going on when I last commented here), 5 hours to get ready to install and a further 1.5 hours to sort itself out in a series of 5 restarts. I've only just got back online, so I'm only just now going to get seriously into the videos.

First, though, I will need to uninstall my Wacom software and reinstall it, because something I've learned over the last couple of days is that a Win 10 updates ALWAYS corrupt the Wacom driver. So if any of you out there are experiencing glitchy pens/tablets you may need to do what one of the Wacom Support team told me to do, which was unplug the tablet, uninstall the Wacom software, restart the computer to totally erase all trace of the old installation, check that you have the latest driver installer and download a fresh one if you haven't (ask one of the support team on the Live Chat if you are unsure which one you need), reinstall the driver, and only then plug the tablet back in.

Its a crazy world. Drives me nuts, but what can you do?
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-30-2017 at 11:45 AM.

I'm really sorry for you and your computer problems. Usually the tools are made to help us in our tasks, whether the opposite happens is incomprehensible .

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast