Thread: What counts as "HAND-DRAWN" anymore?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hand drawn is hand drawn. ie the marks originated from marks you made with your hand in a medium that is at least based on the use traditional materials. Traditional materials has it's own distinction for a reason. And I think with the advent of deceitfully named AI art, you know that is not hand drawn, nor particularly creative, nor original, so it helps the distinction.

Some other things that are not hand drawn but are perfectly creatively valid are things made with collages, photobashing, 3d models which are then rendered. An argument for vector made things may fall under this category same as with 3D modelling. Because you are manipulating points and booleans, procedural processes etc and the computer is actually drawing the stuff. I'm not sure where I'd place something like 3d Sculpting though.

I agree with Falconius. Hand drawn = hand drawn only.

And after that, watch Dream on Silly Dreamer. It’s a documentary made by the Disney animators themselves about how things went off the rails and how they lost not just jobs but careers.