Thread: Rheia: one final try at ground-up worldbuilding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Awesome stuff Harrg! I tried fiddling around with lighting effects and a full-sized greyscale image a couple days ago and was surprised at how good it came out without too much effort on my part. The main issue is spots where the contour lines are spaced far apart, which gives the shaded relief and awkward "stepped" appearance. I masked those bits with a gaussian blur, but obviously there's more tweaking that needs to be done before I have something I'm really pleased with. Will probably also need to do multiple lighting effects layers with the light from different directions depending on the orientation of the mountains.

Anyway I'm putting that part on hold for now until I finish doing my climates, but once I do get back to it I'll probably be asking you for some tips on your technique... posting what I have so far although agin, lots more work is necessary. Honestly though, seeing that all my work drawing the elevation by hand resulted in something that looks surprisingly realistic made me feel much better about my artistic choices so far with this world.

Rheia_relief.png
    Attached Images Attached Images