Thread: Map Dump.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bit of frustratingly slow progress today, but happy with this land mass generation.

land.png

It's been a long day at work so I'm going to give myself a break so I don't get frustrated and or annoyed and give up.

Thanks guys,
    Steven

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen950 View Post
    Bit of frustratingly slow progress today, but happy with this land mass generation.

land.png

It's been a long day at work so I'm going to give myself a break so I don't get frustrated and or annoyed and give up.

Thanks guys,
    Steven
    For this effort, I admire that you want to create more random coastlines. But it is too jagged. I'd scale it down just a tad.

If I may, here is a set of landmasses I just created. It may give some insight.
    Tut1_LandscapeBlack_1.png Just used a SOLID ROUND brush to paint these. Nothing fancy.

Tut2_Land-AlphatoSelection_1.png Right Click on the land layer. Select Alpha to Selection and drop in your color.

Tut3_Land-BasicPainting_1.png Again Alpha to Select on the land layer, then used that paint blotch basic gimp brush on LOWER opacity to ROUGHLY click away with the basic Green and the basic brown.
    (Normally, I would try and find a nice texture without any clear repeatable areas (desaturate it to greyscale) and then put it on overlay above the land layer to give extra detail. BUT for this I didn't do it.)

Tut4_LandSea-BasicSeaPainting_1.png ON THE LAND, Alpha to select, invert the selection, grow selection by 1, Filter>Blur>Gausian Blur. 0.5 (This is to take away the blockiness of the coastline -Also optional.)

For the Sea, I created a layer below the land layer and threw in a solid blue color. Then I used that paint blotch brush again with a lower opacity lighter blue OR darker blue. Then roughly painted in the sea.

3- For the land edge. Alpha to select the land again. Then take soft edge blur brush, with it you take a darker brown and on LOW opacity you add some brown to the edge of the land.
    If you have any questions, just ask

tut5_TreeConcepts.png
    For this I took two of my custom tree brushes. At 80x80 pixels per tree they are perfectly fine for this area. Then I made sure the spacing of the brush is set higher in right bottom corner. Then starting at the back I paint forward, making sure I don't leave one's trunk on top of the other in the open.
    Then I made a shadow layer below the trees, above the land layer and added Core(Darker and smaller) shadows and Cast (Lighter but a bit bigger) shadows under the trees.

(If you are wondering what I did with the ground under the trees, I just added highlights and shadow with the ink blotch brush. )

I tried as best I could to use simple-ish techniques to pull off this tutorial. If you read it through you might learn something, who knows. Anyway, I hope this helps.
    Last edited by XCali; 02-07-2021 at 03:08 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19