It turns out I can't just let this setting go...here is test at a regional map of one of the nations on the larger galactic map, the Mariner Worlds. The crop shows the region in question, plus the first warp anchor in any connected regions. I enlarged the image, but replaced the landmark drawings with their original size drawings (filling in the opened space with clone-stamp stars). Then I erased the color shading and borders for the Mariner Worlds, and simultaneously increased the opacity of the other regions' color shading while also graying them out. I've added tributary warp passages to the anchor network, showing only those lesser channels in the Mariner Worlds. I added names for some landmarks - drawings will come later - and callouts indicating the home worlds of native peoples from this region.

CathedralGalaxy_Mariner_210101.jpg

Obviously, there's some work to do on the text positioning and content. If I do all the nations the way I want, there will be 10 regional maps to go with the larger galactic map. Maybe I will put some additional lore on each, since their shapes are so non-rectangular I'll be left with some space to play with.