Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
I love the history behind the name of Clover. Such details give a fantasy world a very realistic feeling and some kind of depth... And yes, Midleset is a very good name to transport a Victorian-esque feeling.
Thank you so much Neyasha Really good for me to get this kind of feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
As German is my mother-tongue I have a lot of "germanized" names in my fantasy world and often I'm really struggling with it. One reason may be, that most fantasy worlds are originally in English and when they are translated to German, the names often sound odd, so it's very rare to find fictional, but realistic sounding German names. Mostly because they sound just like modern names without any history or influence from other languages behind it.
Like Aeshnidae, I'm surprised English to German has this problem! And as both you and Azélor have said, when creating fictional place names in your own native languages they often sound odd. I'm really curious as to why this might be. But I'm in a difficult position to assess it myself. I also suffer form Anlgo-American privilege and I'm not a native Irish speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
This thread motivated me to do an Amazon search for books about the etymology of conlang. I might check out Hobbit Place-Names and The Conlanger's Lexipedia.
I think I'd like to know more about conlanging (I currently know so little that I wouldn't even attempt it) but it sounds like a rabbit hole that you could just keep going down for ages But that book does look interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
I really can't find it. It might have been deleted or I just can't find it for some reason. I also have names written on a sheet but I don't know where it is.
No worries Azélor but thanks for having a look. I'm just interested to learn from others' processes

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
Weery, you said that Grimmsmouth city has over 700 coherently named elements. Would you share some of those and your thinking behind them?
I hope to post more on this soon Aeshnidae. I keep an excel sheet with all the details in case I ever get the map complete so I can use the data on a Google maps type programme. But I don't really know how to do that bit yet either. Dream big I guess