Thread: Murky Ale Tavern

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Wip Murky Ale Tavern

I was browsing through some of my old stuff and came across an unfinished drawing of a large tavern*.
    I'd abandoned it because it wasn't needed for the commission I was working on. And because the iso projection forced me to think about how (what was originally a top-down map based on a 5' grid) would make sense in 3D. I had trouble wrapping my head around it; it was hard to make the thing look good in terms of proportions.
    I decided to muck about with it using Sketchup (learning to use that program as I went along) to see what it would look like. That got a bit out of hand. While fun, it seemed kind of pointless to do a whole 3D model in Sketchup when I was going to do it in pen and ink later on.

20160302_160147_HDR.jpg
    20160302_160152_HDR.jpg
    ebe27919408442c2bedb216b5421c4c1.png

Anyways, what I really wanted to do was a top down map that you can use for a roleplaying session, so I'm going to start over and try my hand at making one of those in Photoshop.

*aside: is there a difference between an inn and a tavern? I sort of use them interchangabkly, but that might be wrong. English is not my native language

Generally, the main difference of Inn and tavern is that a tavern is a pub and doesn't tend to have lodging.
    An inn has lodging, and may also have a pub and food.

I used to overdo my sketchup models as well, even when it was just to be a guide for a drawing.
    Takes a bit of effort to just model more simply for that purpose, but it can be quite helpful.
    I like your Inn sketches though.

Top down is much easier for interior layouts.