Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
@TimPaul - yeah, I wondered the same thing. I haven't actually read any of the writer's story yet (I would have been happy to read it, but that wasn't part of our process). I just went by what he told me he wanted. In all honesty, *I* looked at a number of OZ maps during the mapping process. I remembered some of the details, like the centrality of the Emerald City and the various quadrants like Munkinland and Quadling Country, but mostly I wanted to know what had come before. I especially wanted to refresh my memory on how Emerald City had been depicted...I was hoping to keep my interpretation in line with what had been done, but not to copy any previous version. I also wound up looking up various images of turn-of-the-century balloons (likely gas, not hot air) when preparing to draw Eye o' the Witch. And I should note that the position of Emerald City doesn't preclude it being in the center...the client has plans for more maps of other areas. So you could view this map as more "Southwest OZ" than purely Western OZ. Ultimately, it all comes down to what the client wanted for his story.

Everyone else - thanks so much for your enthusiastic responses! So many hours were poured into this project. It's really nice to know that people are enjoying it.
It's a great map, regardless of what has gone before in the world of Oz. And I've certainly been in your situation, where you are, that doesn't seem right, but you do what the client asks for.

And certainly if he's writing in the world of Oz, and it's in the future, much may have changed.