Thread: Town of Silvershore WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I think I'm at a point now, where the map is usable, but there are still a lot of small changes and additions that need to be made and a few things I want to add.

Silvershore-WIP-03.jpg

Guild Novice

Looks really nice!

On a 'historical' note, if you look at old European cities, you can actually 'see' the development based on the pattern around significant landmarks. The churches and the market squares are more or less in the city centers, and have the best real-estate, even today. All the major roads lead into these, and not usually in a grid-pattern. If you look-up Lille, or Arras, in France, you will see some good examples of star-like road patterns to these landmarks, and a sudden burst of land or greenery where space is a commodity...

Also, I like the idea of Silvershore being by the water, but there seems to be sparse development by the bridge or shoreline.

I'm just being picky. This map is awesome!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ConradB View Post
    Looks really nice!

On a 'historical' note, if you look at old European cities, you can actually 'see' the development based on the pattern around significant landmarks. The churches and the market squares are more or less in the city centers, and have the best real-estate, even today. All the major roads lead into these, and not usually in a grid-pattern. If you look-up Lille, or Arras, in France, you will see some good examples of star-like road patterns to these landmarks, and a sudden burst of land or greenery where space is a commodity...

Also, I like the idea of Silvershore being by the water, but there seems to be sparse development by the bridge or shoreline.

I'm just being picky. This map is awesome!
    Thanks.

Good points on the churches. The reason for not doing it quite like that for this town, is partly that with a pantheon of gods rather than a single deity, the individual shrines/temples doesn't play a big enough part in peoples' lives, to make one of them a noticeable focal point, partly that the town's origin was very trade oriented, and partly that the big temple is a relatively new construction.

As for the sparse development along the shore, it is mostly an oversight on my part. I only realised rather late, that I hadn't given it any thought and didn't want to make too many changes at that stage. My thought is, that the mansions near the shore, are situated on a high hill and that the only access to the beach, is a narrow gully that the road follows to a fairly narrow and small beach. I am working on a good way to show where there are hills on the map, but haven't quite figured it out yet.

My biggest mistake with this map, was that I was too focused on keeping the scale I had set for it and has ended up being constrained by the size of the paper I want it printed on. Fortunately that is a bit easier to fix, than if it was hand drawn, so I will probably enlarge the map at some point and give the town a sudden growth spurt on the other side of the river (which, by the way, is way too narrow for what I originally had in mind).