Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi there BISHDP, I had a quick look at the image you posted here as well as the ones you posted at your WIP thread and I do have a few tips that might help:

First about the mountains. The contrast in your height map looks about right so I'm inclined to think that perhaps there is a missing step somewhere. Did you include both the "Mountain Bumps" layer (on page 7 of the tutorial)? If not, adding this layer may help to make your mountains pop out a bit. If you have added the layer, you can always increase the opacity (which should be set to 50%) and/or duplicate this layer.

Second, about the height map. If you would like a more gradual elevation from lowlands to mountain peeks, you may want do a bit more sculpting with your height map (see page 2 of the tutorial). I've attached a larger image of what one of my height maps generally looks like once I'm finished airbrushing (BTW, this is one the most time consuming elements of the process and usually takes me several hours).

Third, I noticed that your final colored map looks somewhat grainy. This might be due to setting the Noise % in Wilbur too high. If you like the grainyness, well and good. If you want a smoother map though you may need to play around with reducing the noise settings in Wilbur. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Images Attached Images