Thread: Intro Greetings

Default Intro Greetings

Hello,
    I am a happy consumer of maps and have been for many years (mostly for gaming purposes). But lately I've wanted to up my game and actually overcome some of my technical limitations and do up my own maps. I nerd deeply about languages and cultures and history, ancient and semi-modern.

My near-term goals are not to draw my own freehand maps. I could do that, but what I really want to figure out is a good way to take existing historical maps and modify them to where they have all the things that I want on them, instead of using someone or somewiki else's maps with 30%-70% of what I want depicted.
    I would happily take guidance from folks on user friendly software and so on.

Welcome to the Guild! I'm with you in loving history, culture and languages...that's part of the reason I've maintained my passion for maps because it wraps all those things into one.

Definitely sounds interesting what you would like to do with historical maps. Could you expand a little more on what you're hoping to achieve? I'm having trouble picturing it.

All the best!
    - Josh