Thread: My very first map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default My very first map

Hey, you guys.

I'm going to showcase the very first map I've ever made. I finished it about 30 minutes ago and have been pretty excited.

Feedback is welcome. Please, be critical. I want to be BETTER. That doesn't really happen until somebody points out the things I am doing wrong or could be doing better.

The type of feedback I'm looking for isn't necessarily the design, but the execution. If that makes sense. There are a lot of things that I'm not happy with in it, but regardless I'm still proud!

This site has actually been a large inspiration for me for a few years now. Thank you all so very much for any feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	convergancefinal.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	101178

Congrats on completing your first map! I still remember the feeling myself several years back when I first joined the Guild. OK, in terms of constructive criticism, here goes:

The first thing that stands out to me is the combination of hand drawn elements and fractal-cloud based realistic looking terrain. It's difficult to get these two styles to play nice together and I generally recommend that beginners pick one or the other for any given piece.

Likewise for your hand-drawn elements it looks like you've got a few different styles (using different line-widths and shading) going on to illustrate your hills, forests and possibly political centers (if that's what these are - see comment below). Am I correct in assuming that this is because some of these were borrowed from other artist and then "stamped" into this map, whereas others (the forests perhaps) were hand drawn? If so in the future I'd recommend either finding a symbol set that contains all the elements you plan to use, all in the same style, or just trying your hand at drawing everything yourself. The combination of various styles actually makes things a little less clear to read, and aesthetically speaking a unified style is preferable to its alternative.

Also, I'm not exactly clear on what those black sponge-texture-like areas are supposed to represent. They look vaguely like the outlines of towns and cities but I'm not sure. If this is what you intended you might want to work on making them a bit more clear in the future. Like, for instance, it would make more sense to draw them in a style similar to either how you've done your trees or your hills and mountains.

Finally, try using a font that is simpler and more legible. The fancy script looks nice but is difficult to read at a glance and this detracts from the utility of the map (insofar as the locales on the map are less easy to reference). My 2c.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Congrats on completing your first map! I still remember the feeling myself several years back when I first joined the Guild. OK, in terms of constructive criticism, here goes:

The first thing that stands out to me is the combination of hand drawn elements and fractal-cloud based realistic looking terrain. It's difficult to get these two styles to play nice together and I generally recommend that beginners pick one or the other for any given piece.

Likewise for your hand-drawn elements it looks like you've got a few different styles (using different line-widths and shading) going on to illustrate your hills, forests and possibly political centers (if that's what these are - see comment below). Am I correct in assuming that this is because some of these were borrowed from other artist and then "stamped" into this map, whereas others (the forests perhaps) were hand drawn? If so in the future I'd recommend either finding a symbol set that contains all the elements you plan to use, all in the same style, or just trying your hand at drawing everything yourself. The combination of various styles actually makes things a little less clear to read, and aesthetically speaking a unified style is preferable to its alternative.

Also, I'm not exactly clear on what those black sponge-texture-like areas are supposed to represent. They look vaguely like the outlines of towns and cities but I'm not sure. If this is what you intended you might want to work on making them a bit more clear in the future. Like, for instance, it would make more sense to draw them in a style similar to either how you've done your trees or your hills and mountains.

Finally, try using a font that is simpler and more legible. The fancy script looks nice but is difficult to read at a glance and this detracts from the utility of the map (insofar as the locales on the map are less easy to reference). My 2c.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey, thank you so much, Arsheesh.
    I actually attempted to hand draw towns and cities but I am really horrible at it, to be honest.
    I eventually gave up and just stamped those things on there, but I would love to learn some techniques, tips, tricks, etc. on creating better towns that stand out on the map.

If you or anybody else could help me with it, I would be so grateful.

Thanks,
    Don

Nice job for a first try! I will tell you three things: 1) Your rivers could use some work because they look kinda like blue roads right now 2) your mountains are the same color as the rest of your map which isn't good because your map is green so I suggest either doing a style where you don't need to color the mountains (like what I do) or trying to color the mountains. 3) I can see the pixels so I think you should try using higher resolution next time like somewhere around 3000x2000 or higher.

I'd also like to point out what you did well because knowing what you do right is also important becoming better. I will say two things about this: 1) While the rivers could use some fixing, I think you did a good job with the sea; it looks clear and blends well with the shoreline. 2) Although the mountains do not have color, I do still think that they look nice and have potential.

Moreover, I notice that your city icons do not stand out enough. They are too see-through. To fix this I first suggest designing it so that nothing can be seen through them. To do this, you have to add a layer behind the city icons and color in the cities. Be extra sure that you put this color layer BENEATH the layer with the city icon layer. If you don't understand what I mean by this, just tell me and I'll explain it more carefully. Also if you want tips for rivers and mountains, send me a PM.

Default Nice map

Thats a great looking map.
    Personally I prefer the names next to the location, but that may just be me.
    Also I think the cities are a little hard to see, too see through.

I do like the roads, I like how visible they are, I think I may use that on my next, and also first, map.

As someone who just made their first map, what recommendation do you have for someone who
    is about to start making their own first map?