Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mission of Gravity -- Rapidly Spinning World

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

I've recently learned some basic 3-D modeling in Blender, which I've used to render the realistic satellite view below, overlain with Frodo's physical parameters. (Axis is rotated by about 10 degrees; northern ice cap (at periapsis) is visible.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Globe Parms.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	977.2 KB 
ID:	137589

By the way, does anyone know how to use ExoPlaSim to calculate the effective temperature? Using worldbuilding pasta's spreadsheet, I got a value of 30 Celsius, which seems way too high considering the extent of Frodo's ice caps. Another question: what is the difference (referring especially to Clima-Sim) between total albedo and effective albedo?

Anyways, thanks for viewing.

Peter

My spreadsheet, clima-sim, and exoplasim have different levels of complexity and flexibility which mean they might not be consistent with each other, exoplasim should generally be trusted over the others; the first one in particular rather clunkily relies on you to decide what the albedo is. Effective temperature is a somewhat odd parameter to be concerned with for a planet, there are probably ways to work it out by summing the outgoing radiation but for any application where effective temperature really matters, a few degrees difference isn't much of a problem. There are also a number of different ways to define albedo, you'd probably have to dig around a lot in its documentation to figure out exactly what clima-sim is using. Ultimately I guess I'm wondering what these specific parameters are for, because they might be a lot of work to figure out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234