Thread: How do post notifications work?

Default How do post notifications work?

What is the best way to be notified that someone replied to a post I made? Or posted a new post in a thread I'm in?

That's all to do with the settings in your profile.

Its up to you if you get popups on screen and email notifications, one of those things or neither.

Go to your settings by clicking the word 'settings' in the top right corner of the page when you are logged on, and look down the list of links on the left hand side of your settings page till you get to "General settings". Once you have decided on the options there, remember to click save at the bottom or the settings will revert to what they were before.

And that should be all there is to it.

I saw that and thought I was missing something. I see all the notification options for private messages, but was looking for something similar for regular forum posts. Is it something to do with the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode:'?

Basically I'm looking for something that will give me an icon or notification internal to this site when you reply to this post, like 'Mouse commented in your post' or 'Mouse made a comment in a thread you have posted in'.

OK i just subscribed to this thread. That has to be it...

Red would be able to describe the way it all works with absolute precision, but basically you can switch the Default Thread Subscription Mode on or off, and you are either automatically subscribed to every thread you made a comment in, or you aren't.

Even if you have the default thread subscription set to off, and even if you haven't made a comment in a thread, you can still decide to subscribe to it and receive notifications just by clicking the "Thread Tools" menu on the top bar of the first comment and clicking "Subscribe to this thread".

If you are receiving notification emails about a thread you are already subscribed to, but which you are no longer interested in, there is always an "Unsubscribe from this thread" link at the bottom of each of those notification emails.

There's a lot more than just that to it, but its probably something you will pick up over the next few weeks. I think I tweaked my settings dozens of times before I was happy with the way everything worked for me.

Blog Entries

I cant add any more to that - you have it about right there Mouse. I dont have notifications set any more as I used to get a lot of mail coming in which does mean I miss a few posts here and there.