Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma and backup status

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Hurricane Irma and backup status

Hello folks! I'm in the process right now of running another duplicate full backup to make sure we're good to go on the site in case there's some kind of catastrophic failure at our host. I'm still a very proud Cloud South customer, and out server sits in West Palm Beach, FL. I'm not sure how strong the hurricane will be by the time it gets there, but they are quite proud of their setup and their hardiness. Just in case though, I'll probably be able to rapidly re-launch at another location if things go south...only caveat will be the lost data from the time of the last backup. I'll attempt to ensure incremental backups are maintained in multiple locations nightly until the hurricane is past.

FYI, I'm speaking about an additional backup which is above and beyond my regular local backup. We should be good to go. I'll be doing some maintenance on the server tomorrow or saturday evening though, so if there's some downtime, don't panic. I'll try and keep everyone updated.

If you're in the path of Irma or were in the path of Harvey, my prayers are with you! Having lived in Florida myself, I'm well aware of the damage and the aftermath of hurricanes. I remember the devastation of Hurricane Ivan on Pensacola when I lived there.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Just got off the phone with our host and they say they do not expect any outages, but they don't know what the storm will bring. They have plenty of fuel for the generators and are in an area that gets its power restored very quickly. They are prepared for major disasters and that's one of the things they're known for when it comes to co location services. I think we'll be fine, but time will tell.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk

Hey Robbie

Even if things go down, we know you'll be busy behind scenes making it right again

That's why we love you

Thanks for the info Robbie, it is nice to know you do what you can to keep the guild running no matter what . Hope the hurrican wont bring any disaster.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Blog Entries

Thanks guys! Hurricane looks to have weakened a little due to taking in some dry air from Cuba to the south of the eye wall. I think I even saw the eye wall open up once this morning on the satellite imagery. Maybe it'll drop to a 2 or 3 before land fall.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I'm about to start some of that server maintenance, so things may go down for a bit when I reboot...maybe even a couple of times. Sorry.

Blog Entries

Maintenance complete for now, and backups updated. That was easy.

Never felt a thing

Blog Entries

There was a brief hiccup of 404 errors while web server software reconfigured itself. But yeah, pretty painless. I didn't even reboot. 68 days uptime right now

Congratulations! That's a pretty impressive figure, considering there must be a simply vast database behind this site with all the forums, challenges, and probably tens of thousands of stored map images...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast