Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Mountain of Rasgar

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    @Kellerica & Domino : ahh, you two are making me blush!!!

Domino, I have no worries! And trust me... I couldn't match your hand drawn skills if I tried! I just hope my tower floor plan lives up to your floating mountain! I promise, I will try to do it justice!
    I’m sure you will do a a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Looking good already , how about some vines and roots protuding from the mountain and perhaps some keeping it still anchored to the bottom one ?
    Thanks Naima! I have thought about doing that, my biggest worry is about pulling that off at the scale I’m working with, I think I will sketch out some ideas and see if works. I’m not worried about the mountain wondering off because of the level of magic that is going to be suggested in this map.

I added some more detail, shadows, also a tree with roots reaching out. I'm still planning on adding other elements to this map so suggestions are welcome! I am planning on adding cave entrances, a forest at the base of the mountain, and ruins somewhere. I am also thinking about what to do for the background and I really want to have a night setting so I can show stars in the background but I'm not sure how I can pull that off yet, so advise on that would also be appreciated!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating mountain3.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	113254

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this; your shading looks great.

For the background, what about a coastal plain? You could have a horizon line, maybe the suggestion of small mountains off to the left against the border; twinkling lights on the plain suggesting towns; the ocean with a glowing horizon suggesting the sun just sank; stars above.

You'd probably have to expand your canvas to do that justice though, maybe have the mountain slightly off-center to the right? Probably extend the canvas left from where it is now, and up a bit too, keeping the mountain bottom right-ish.

Whatever you go with, it already looks fantastic.

edit: if you go that way, the side of the mountain facing us will be in heavy shadow, so maybe put some torches or a lighted trail spiraling up it?

Great shading on that! And I am definitely hooked on the multiple waterfalls.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Expert

Oh wow this shading is so nice, it’s really starting to come togeather now.

Very nice start with some very cool ideas !
    I'm very curious on how about it will turn update after update .

Great to see you mapping again Domino! It looks awesome already. Since i'm commisioned to map floating islands too, i'll draw some inspiration from your work for sure...
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very good start! The lineart is really very good! Same with the shadows! This is only my opinion, but if I were fussy, I would find that the shadow of the central ridge of the mountain is a little too strong (it is the ridge that forms an "S"). Which makes it look like it's really sharp as a razor. Perhaps a slightly less strong shadow would soften and round off the top? That's just my opinion.... But anyway, the result is really very beautiful, very poetic!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I really like this; your shading looks great.

For the background, what about a coastal plain? You could have a horizon line, maybe the suggestion of small mountains off to the left against the border; twinkling lights on the plain suggesting towns; the ocean with a glowing horizon suggesting the sun just sank; stars above.

You'd probably have to expand your canvas to do that justice though, maybe have the mountain slightly off-center to the right? Probably extend the canvas left from where it is now, and up a bit too, keeping the mountain bottom right-ish.

Whatever you go with, it already looks fantastic.

edit: if you go that way, the side of the mountain facing us will be in heavy shadow, so maybe put some torches or a lighted trail spiraling up it?
    Thank you Diamond! Those are some great suggestions... I almost wish I could use them all but I have a cool idea that I hope I can pull off. I did expand my canvas already for it

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Great shading on that! And I am definitely hooked on the multiple waterfalls.
    Thank you! and I'm hooked on the waterfalls too!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Oh wow this shading is so nice, it’s really starting to come togeather now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onirian View Post
    Very nice start with some very cool ideas !
    I'm very curious on how about it will turn update after update .
    Thanks you both!

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Great to see you mapping again Domino! It looks awesome already. Since i'm commisioned to map floating islands too, i'll draw some inspiration from your work for sure...
    It's very nice to be back! I will be following your thread as well, I'm happy I'm not all alone up in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Very good start! The lineart is really very good! Same with the shadows! This is only my opinion, but if I were fussy, I would find that the shadow of the central ridge of the mountain is a little too strong (it is the ridge that forms an "S"). Which makes it look like it's really sharp as a razor. Perhaps a slightly less strong shadow would soften and round off the top? That's just my opinion.... But anyway, the result is really very beautiful, very poetic!
    Thank you JO! I can see what you mean about the shadow, I will tone it down a little where I need.

I will have an update out later tonight!

I'm having a lot of fun making this, a friend of my suggested adding a creepy forest which I think looks really cool. I also added a huge statue of a fire goddess, the garden around the tower, and some epic doors around the side of the mountain (I love cool doors). I also love the four elements, I felt like I was already representing earth (the mountain), water (the waterfalls), and the sky (I'm planning on that), and fire (fire goddess).

I remember seeing a map years ago that was a simple island map with a stars and constellations illustrated above it. It took me forever to find it but I found it on pinterest and the link from the picture didn't even go anywhere so I had to take a screen shot of it

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	113332

This is the kind of effect I want to achieve in this map's background, I feel like I will need to expand my canvas again. I am also planning on trying to create a constellation, cluster, or other star element based on anyone who is participating in this challenge. I thought it would add a fun personalization for this map. So if anyone has something specific they want me to use for them let me know, for example Diamond can request a constellation in the shape of a diamond... or Greason Wolfe can be a wolf... but some of you don't have such obvious things for me to interpret. So let me know if you want something specific!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Floating mountain4.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	113334

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast